"The Sixth Finger" is the fifth episode of the original The Outer Limits television show. It aired on October 14, 1963, during the first season.
In a remote Welsh mining town, a scientist discovers how to speed up evolutionary mutation. Gwyllim Griffiths (David McCallum), a disgruntled local miner, volunteers for the experiment, enabling the scientist to give him enhanced mental capabilities and, incidentally, a sixth finger on each hand. But when the mutation process continues while outside of the scientist's control, the mutant miner takes over the experiment. Now equipped with superior intelligence and telekinetic powers capable of great destruction, Griffiths decides to take revenge on the mining town he loathes.
- David McCallum — Gwyllm Griffiths
- Edward Mulhare — Prof. Mathers
- Jill Haworth — Cathy Evans
- Nora Marlowe — Mrs. Ives
- Janos Prohaska — Darwin, Prof. Mathers' trained chimpanzee
- Constance Cavendish — Gert "the Bread" Evans
- Robert Doyle — Wilt Morgan
Cinematographer - John M. Nicklaus